I feel like I've been doing a lot more with this summer than I usually do, possibly because I was sick of being bored all summer long, as I was in years past. I also feel like I'm putting myself around people that I can genuinely enjoy being around and improving friendships that I've made both in the past as well as more recently. I feel like the only people that I've seen for the past few weeks and will see for the next few weeks are my church family, which I'm completely fine with. I've had sort of a "transition" period of going from school friends, to just band friends to church friends and then after next week I'll be transitioning back to band friends.
I'm currently helping at Vacation Bible School (VBS) as a crew leader.
If VBS crew leaders had a job description, it would go something like this: "Come for 5 hours every morning to help children ages 3-10 learn about Jesus, while you learn why you never want to be a parent."
Not that this makes me never want to be a parent, but it is a lot of work. And dealing with little kids' attitudes when hormones are acting up? Yeah, that makes it about 50 times worse. But honestly, I'd rather be dealing with it this week rather than next because next week I'm going off to San Diego for a mission trip (*bubbles over with excitement*). And what makes it really great? We're going to be there for a full 7 days (okay, we're leaving at 6 AM on the last day, but we still need clothes to wear home) and we're taking no checked baggage on the plane. Fun, right?
But I, being the obsessive compulsive neat freak that I am, was excited for this packing challenge and I, with 4 days remaining until we leave on the trip, am already packed. I just need to organize a few things and double check a few details and I'll be all good to go. And I fit 10 3 oz. liquids/gels into a quart sized bag.
I should be a professional packer, seriously.
Then my transition back to band friends will begin 2 days after I return from California and will commence with sure-to-be wonderful 2 hour rehearsals for 3 days in a row followed the next week by band camp. And then marching season starts and band will continue to dominate my life well into the fall and possibly even the winter months.
And that, my friends, is how the rest of my summer is going down.
No comments:
Post a Comment